Halloween

Monday, November 11, 2013

Week 9 - Halloween

When I was young, I don't remember there being as much hoopla over Halloween.  Being a farm child, houses were few and far between. Mom would get us costumes, perhaps only a mask. I don't remember any of them, so they must not have been memorable.  I'm sure she didn't spend alot of money, because we didn't have much money when I was young. And I don't have any pictures of me or my siblings in Halloween costumes either.  Mom and Dad would drive us to a few friends and family in the area where were would ring the bell and call out trick or treat.

When I was 3 and my sister Shirley was 5, Mom put us in day care while she attended college.  On halloween everyone was dressed in costumes except.  The lady who ran the day care made us up at ghosts, she drapes white sheets over us and put paper bags over our heads.


When I was in 7th or 8th grade, I spent one Halloween in town.  I was at the home of one of my friends from church. Vicky and I went trick or treating at all the homes in her neighborhood which was a lot.  I could see that Halloween was much more fun when you lived in town than out on the farm.

When I was 19 and at the Language school in Monterey, I told the two FBI agents in my class that I was going to go to their house to trick or treat.  So my roommate Lee and I donned our Micky Mouse T-shirts and Mickey ears, painted our noses black and drove to their houses.  At the house of the first agent, they seemed embarrased to see us.  They thrust some candy at us and shut the door.  At the house of the second agent, they invited us and gave us a drink.

The only other time I have dressed up for Halloween was in 1991 when I and my roommate Peggy went to a Halloween party at Cassadaga, Florida a city known for having a large number of psychics and mediums.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.